Collard Greens Southern Style
I recently did a post on Collard Greens Italian Style. It’s only fair that I do a traditional southern recipe. I got this from a couple I know whose families come from Georgia.
- Place hock in a large pot and just cover with chicken stock, water or a combination of the two. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the liquid is reduced by a third.
- While the hock is simmering, remove collard stems and roll leaves lengthwise like a cigar and slice into 1 inch pieces. Put cut leaves in a sink full of cold water and wash. Remove and drain.
- In a separate pan lightly sauté onion on a low heat in half of the fat or oil. Don’t brown.
- When the onion is soft and translucent add salt, vinegar, garlic, sugar, pepper and remaining bacon fat or olive oil to pan. Cook on a medium low heat for a few minutes then add to the pot with the hock.
- Turn heat to high and add greens, stir, cover and lower heat and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, until tender.
Click here for updated GALLERY II